Skip to Main Content
Archaeology Field School Syllabus
WEEK 1: What is Archaeology? Connecting Ideas to Approaches, History and Practice
- ARTICLE 1 — O’Brien, Michael, et al. The “Old” Archaeology, from Archaeology as a Process: Processualism and its Progeny.
- ARTICLE 2 — O’Brien, Michael, et al. A New Perspective in Arch(a)eology, from Archaeology as a Process: Processualism and its Progeny.
- ARTICLE 3 — Binford, Lewis R. Behavioral Archaeology and the “Pompeii Premise,” from Journal of Anthropological Research.
- ARTICLE 4 — Binford, Lewis R. Culture and Social Roles in Archaeology, from Debating Archaeology.
WEEK 2: Some First Principles of Behavioral Ecology
WEEK 3: Archaeological Site Formation: Processes and Ethnoarchaeological Observations
- ARTICLE 11 — Schiffer, Michael B. The Nature of Archaeological Evidence and Dimensions of Artifact Variability, from Formation Process of the Archaeological Record.
- ARTICLE 12 — Binford, Lewis B. Willow Smoke and Dog’s Tails: Hunter-Gatherer Settlement Systems and Archaeological Site Formation, from American Antiquity.
- ARTICLE 13 — O’Connell, James F.K. Hawkes and N.B. Jones Distribution of Refuse-Producing Activities at Hadza Residential Base Camps, from Interpretation of Archaeological Spatial Patterning, edited by Kroll and Price.
- ARTICLE 14 — Metcalfe, Duncan A Model for Exploring the Optimal Trade-off between Field Processing and Transport, from American Anthropologist.
- ARTICLE 15 — Kent, Susan The Archaeological Visibility of Storage: Delineating Storage from Trash Areas, from American Antiquity.
- ARTICLE 16 — Plew, Mark G. “Experimental Archaeology,” For Added Definition in Oxford Companion to Archaeology.
WEEK 4: Hunter-Gatherer Mobility and Settlement
- ARTICLE 17 — Shott, Michael Technological Organization and Settlement Mobility: An Ethnographic Examination, from Journal of Anthropological Research.
- ARTICLE 18 — Kelly, Robert L. Mobility/Sedentism: Concepts, Archaeological Measures and Effects, from Annual Reviews in Anthropology.
- ARTICLE 19 — Morgan, Christopher Modeling Modes of Hunter-Gatherer Food Storage, from American Antiquity.
- ARTICLE 20 — Simms, Steven R. Plain-Ware Ceramics and Residential Mobility: A Case Study from the Great Basin, from Journal of Archaeological Science.
- ARTICLE 21 — Jones, George T. et al. Lithic Source Use and Paleoarchaic Foraging Territories in the Great Basin, from American Antiquity.
- ARTICLE 22 — Sellet, Frederic, Russell Greaves and Pei-Lin Yu (eds.) Two Steps Forward, One Step Back, from Archaeology and Ethnoarchaeology of Mobility.
WEEK 5: Thoughts Regarding Foraging and Resource Use in Southwestern Idaho
- ARTICLE 23 — Plew, Mark G. Archaic Hunter-Gatherer Diet Breadth and Prey Choice on the Snake River Plain, from Journal of Northwest Anthropology.
- ARTICLE 24 — Plew, Mark G. Implications of Nutritional Potential of Anadromous Fish Resources of the Western Snake River Plain, from Journal of California and Great Basin Anthropology.
- ARTICLE 25 — Dunn, Michael T. Fungal Contamination of Stored Seeds: Implications for Aboriginal Cashing Strategies, from Idaho Archaeologist.
- ARTICLE 26 — Gould, Russell T. and Mark G. Plew Prehistoric Salmon Fishing in the Northern Great Basin: Ecological Dynamics, Trade-Offs, and Foraging Strategies, from Prehistoric Hunter Gatherer Fishing Strategies.
- ARTICLE 27 — Plew, Mark G. Modelling Alternative Subsistence Strategies for the Middle Snake River, from North American Archaeologist.
WEEK 6: So What Have We Learned: A Lesson in Shrimping