Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu


How to Declare Anthropology as Your Major:

Declaring anthropology as your major (or minor) is easy!  You can change your major or minor by logging in to your my.BoiseState account and clicking the Change Major link.

Whom Should You See for Advising?

If you are a new or transfer student, you must meet with Dr. John Ziker, department chair, for first-time advising.  You can call 208-426-3023 to make an appointment.  After the initial advising meeting with Dr. Ziker, you will be assigned a faculty advisor in the department.

How to Change your Advisor:

You can change your advisor at any time.  Contact the department office at 208-426-3023 to let us know which faculty member you would like to have as your advisor.

How Do You Contact an Advisor to Set Up an Appointment?

Email is the preferable way to set up an appointment. Individual faculty office hours are posted on the faculty web pages.

Why Should You See an Advisor?

It is very important to see an advisor as early in your college career as possible. Students who wait often don’t take key courses, and therefore end up delaying their progress towards an anthropology degree. The Department of Anthropology strongly recommends meeting with your advisor every semester to get help with selecting courses for the next semester.

  • Advisors help you to choose appropriate courses to take. Many anthropology courses have prerequisites, and it is important to get started on those courses early.
  • Advisors can help you find internships. Internships are an important way to learn new skills. Internships are also important in helping you to know whether or not you really want to pursue a particular career path. Although an advisor can provide suggestions as to possible internship opportunities, it is important to realize that it is the student’s responsibility to actually go out, make the contact, and arrange the internship experience. Your advisor can then help you to sign up so that you can receive college credit for your internship experience.
  • Advisors can help with preparation of applications for graduate school. Such applications are much more complex than applications to attend as an undergraduate, and an advisor can help you to navigate the complexities.
  • Advisors often help by writing letters of reference for jobs, for applications, for academic appeals, etc. However, don’t expect an advisor to write a letter of any substance unless you’ve invested the time to let your advisor get to know you: your ambitions, your qualifications, your history, etc.
  • An advisor can help a transfer student determine which courses from the previous institution count towards a degree at Boise State.


Transfer Students:

If you are a transfer student from another college or university, please bring a copy of your transcript with you when you come to the department for your first advising session. In this way your advisor can assist you in determining what courses can/will apply towards your anthropology degree here at Boise State, and which courses won’t. In some cases you may be required to fill out an Adjustment of Academic Requirements Form in order to transfer an equivalent course from another college/university. Don’t wait until you are about to graduate before doing this! It may come as a huge surprise when you try to transfer a course you thought would fulfill a requirement towards your major, and when you find out it won’t, you are short credits for graduation.

How to Change your Catalog Year:

To change your degree catalog, fill out this Catalog Year Update form and turn it in to the Registrar’s Office.